Benedict Cumberbatch, photographed by Karim Sadli for T magazine, Spring 2014.
(click the image for extremely high-res photo.)
→ Quinn Fabray’s Drama Desk Awards acceptance speech for “Outstanding Actress in a Play.”
- if you were up to date your computer was probably running windows 95
- there was no standard word processing application (I used Word Perfect, who remembers that one?)
- “the internet” was usually synonymous with “AOL” (although some folks used Prodigy or Compuserve)
- AOL had a lot of content, including message boards, chat rooms, IM, etc.
- fandom existed primarily on newsgroups, mailing lists, and message boards
- if you were on AOL, you might find fellow fans by SEARCHING THE PROFILES OF ALL AOL USERS FOR INTEREST IN YOUR FANDOM AND THEN RANDOMLY IMING THEM CAN YOU BELIEVE WE USED TO DO THAT AND IT WORKED JFC
- chatting for non-aol users was accomplished with IRC and ICQ (uh oh!)
- the best web browser was Netscape Navigator
- you paid for internet BY THE MINUTE and it was a great day when AOL changed to a flat monthly fee for unlimited access
- you didn’t use the internet for too long at a time anyway because you were tying up your phone line. Or, you got a second line for your computer.
- websites involved lots of tiled backgrounds, flashing text, and marquees. Most had a single banner image because graphics took forever to load.
- the word “blog” did not exist
- fanfiction was hosted on your own personal website or on an archive website someone in your fandom set up. You might have fic in multiple archives.
- to share fanfic with people IRL you either had to save to a floppy for them or print it out.
- the bulk of mailing lists were on egroups which later was purchased by yahoo and turned into yahoo groups
- website hosting services included GeoCities, angelfire, Xoom, and others I feel like I’m forgetting right now
- web search was ineffective and fairly useless. You had to search multiple providers (yahoo, alta vista, lycos) which would each give vastly different results, until metasearch came along and consolidated them for you
- to find sites in your fandom you would go to one site and see which webrings they were a member of, then look through the webrings. Some people wouldn’t let you into their webring if they didn’t think you were cool enough.
- every website with fanfic had layers and layers of disclaimers and if applicable adult content warnings you had to click through to get to the content
- we have come a long way in the past 20 years (also jfc I’m old)
Also if you were in some kind of media fandom you often had to rely on the kindness of fellow fans to send you video tapes compiling hard-to-find material
IT’S NOT UNLIKELY FOR STILES TO BE WAKENED BY HIS NAKED BOYFRIEND CLIMBING ON THE BED
HIS NAKED VERY BUFF BOYFRIEND CASUALLY SLIDES ON TOP OF HIS VERY NAKED BODY NUZZLING ON THE NOOK OF HIS NECK
DEREK, STILES’ VERY NAKED BOYFRIEND HAD A NECK KINK
STILES LOVES IT
HE IS PLEASANTLY ARROUSED BY DEREK’S THIGH PUSHING HIS LEGS APART TO RUB HIS COCK AROUND HIS HOLE
STILES ACCOMMODATES DEREK BY OPENING HIS LEGS SO DEREK CAN GET WHAT HE WANTS
THEY DON’T NEED TO SPEAK ALL THE SWEET NOTHINGS
THEY BOTH KNOW WHAT THEY WANT
STILES’ IS ALREADY SLICK AND LOSE FROM DEREK’S FINGERS OPENING HIM UP SO IT’S PLEASANT STRETCH WHEN DEREK PUSHES IN
STILES’ HANDS MOVE TO DEREK’S BACK
MOVING UP AND DOWN HIS SHOULDER AS DEREK DOES THAT SLOW GRIND AND THRUST STILES LOVES
DEREK KISSES HIM FOR THE FIRST TIME THAT NIGHT
STILES LOVES DEREK’S KISSES
THEY ARE WONDERFUL, FILTHY, PROMISES DEREK MAKES TO WHAT IS TO FOLLOW
THIS KISS IS NO DIFFERENT
ITS FILTHY, SLOW, WET
AND ENOUGH TO MAKE STILES LOSE IT
This person deserves the internet award.
This person deserves a fandom award. *slow claps*